Dubbed as the "birthplace of surfing in the Philippines", Baler can considered as a traveler's paradise in the province of Aurora. Just 5 hours away from Manila, it offers a wide array of activities and interesting attractions that you will surely enjoy. Rich in history, great food, adventurous activities and natural wonders, there are many things to do in Baler. A weekend getaway or a 3 days 2 nights trip is an ideal visit to see and experience most of Baler's famous tourist spots and attractions. You can find many places and do many things in (and near) Baler. For first-timers, I listed here some of the most popular attractions and things to do in (and near) Baler.
1. Surf or Learn how to SurfA trip to Baler would not be complete without giving surfing a try. Sabang Beach, as a prime surfing site in the Philippines has become Baler’s source of pride alongside its rich history and natural wonders. It's a popular surfing destination among surfers and non-surfers because of its distinct long stretch of gray sandy shoreline with crashing waves coming from the Pacific Ocean. You can get surfing lessons from any of the surfing schools by the beach. A 1 hour lesson would cost about 350-500 pesos with the instructor helping you out. This is a must-do activity when visiting Baler.
SEE ALSO: Surfing in Baler (A Surfer Wannabe's 2nd Surfing Experience at Sabang Beach, Baler Aurora)
2. Historical Walking Tour Around Baler TownVisit the different historical landmarks within the town proper. Start at Quezon Park to see the statue of President Manuel Luis Quezon. Then proceed to Museo de Baler to see the province's priceless artifacts and memorabilia that showcases the province's rich history and culture. A few steps away from the park is the old Baler Municipal Hall, with the statues of Rizal and Quezon greeting you at the entrance. Then continue the walking tour with a visit to the Church of Baler. It is rich in history as it is the site of the "Siege of Baler" during the Philippine revolution from 1898 to 1899. Lastly, visit the replica of Aurora Quezon's Ancestral house. Doña Aurora Aragon Quezon is the wife of former President Quezon. She was born in Baler, and the province was named after her.
SEE ALSO: Historical Walking Tour Around Baler Town
3. Explore Diguisit's Beach, Rock Formations and WaterfallsRent a tricycle and tell the driver to bring you to Diguisit Beach in Brgy. Zabali, just about 15 minutes away from the town proper. An awesome view of Baler Bay will welcome you, as you enter Brgy. Zabali. Enjoy the stunning rock formations battered by crashing waves. These eye-catching rock formations will make you in admiration for a long time. You may choose to hop from one rock formation to another and take photos with the Aniao Islets as a breath-taking back drop. Take a stop at Diguisit waterfalls. It can be hiked on one side of the road. You wouldn't miss it as the water trickles down to the road. It would also be the best spot to freshen up.
SEE ALSO: Diguisit's Beach, Rock Formations and Waterfalls
4. Watch the SunriseFacing the east and the mighty Pacific Ocean, there are many spots to watch the sunrise in Baler. Be it on top of Ermita hill, along Diguisit beach, Ampere beach in Dipaculao or at the shores of Sabang Beach, almost everywhere is a perfect spot to watch the sunrise.
5. Climb Ermita HillErmita Hill is considered as the highest point in Baler overlooking the bay. At the foot of the hill is a shrine called "Tromba Marina", which is dedicated to commemorate the families who climbed up the hill and survived the catastrophic tsunami that happened in 1735. On top of the hill, enjoy the picturesque view of the town of Baler, Sabang Beach, Cemento and Dimadimalangat islet.
SEE ALSO: Baler's Ermita Hill
6. Trek to Ditumabo Mother FallsLocated in Brgy. Ditumabo in the town of San Luis, it's one of the major attractions of the province. According to some locals, it is the biggest waterfalls in the province so it gets the name mother falls. Going there is easy. From Baler, hire a tricycle to Brgy. Ditumabo and alight at the national road. Another option is to drive a motorcycle which could navigate from the national road all the way to the hydroelectric power plant. It will cut the trekking time to almost half. This magnificent waterfalls has a height of 140 feet. When you get to it, you’ll feel like it’s raining around the area because of the strong current of water rushing from the top. The wide basin and the huge imposing cliffs on both sides are superb work of nature. Truly, nature at it's best!
SEE ALSO: Trek to Ditumabo Mother Falls
7. Go on a Food Trip!How about a good meal after a long day of exploring the sights and attractions in Baler or surfing the mighty waves of Sabang Beach? Indeed, Baler has a lot of dining options to offer, but one that stands out from the rest is Baler Surfer Grill located at the Baywalk Area along Sabang Beach. It is a humble outdoor dining venue that offers an interesting list of dishes that will surely satisfy your cravings for good food.
SEE ALSO: Baler Surfer Grill, "Baler's Ultimate Grilling Sensation"
Also try the different restaurants in the resorts lining up Sabang Beach, or go to the town proper where cheap and affordable eateries, restaurants and carenderias abound. And oh, don't forget to have a taste of Baler's peanut butter, suman and pako. These also make an awesome pasalubong to bring back home.
8. Visit Ampere Beach in DipaculaoAbout 1 hour away from Baler, Ampere beach is one of the best places to watch the sunrise. Go here as early as 5:00 or 5:30 in the morning and see the sunrise unveil amid crashing waves and huge rocks.
9. Climb the Century Old Balete TreeLocated in the town of Maria Aurora, which is about 30 minutes away from Baler, this century-old Balete tree is a sight to behold. For a minimal fee, you can also enter the huge opening of the tree and climb its branches. Just be careful not to fall! :)
10. Souvenir ShoppingThere are so many souvenir shops in Baler offering a wide selection of pasalubong and souvenir items. If you're looking for a pasalubong center where you could buy high-quality shirts, souvenir items and some food items, checkout Discover Baler Souvenir Store! It's definitely one of the best places to buy souvenirs to bring back home to your family, friends and loved ones.
SEE ALSO: Discover Baler Souvenir Store
There are really a lot of things you can do and experience when visiting Baler. I highly suggest that you visit these tourist spots and attractions and make your Baler trip special and a memorable one.
SEE ALSO: 6 Reasons Why I Hate Baler, Aurora (An Open Letter)
WHERE TO STAY IN BALER?
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|