Dubbed as the "Island Born of Fire", Camiguin is a pear-shaped island province known to have several volcanoes and volcanic domes. It is said that volcanic eruptions and land movements have created this spectacular island bursting with natural wonders in a bucolic setting. You can find many places and do many things in Camiguin. Here's a list of some of Camiguin's tourist spots, attractions and things to do and experience in "the island born of fire", Camiguin!
TOP 10 THINGS TO DO IN CAMIGUIN
1. Visit the Giant Clams Ocean Nursery in CantaanLocated in Barangay Cantaan, it is nursery for the farming of clams. Here, you will see a breeding center where there are glass aquariums with live clams of different types. You can also swim at the beach to see the clams up close in the sea nursery. It would be a great experience if you opt to try it.
2. Climb the Old Volcano TrailA favorite destination of devotees and pilgrims during Lenten Season, it has 14 Stations of the Cross with life-size statues depicting the passion, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, They are lined up the trail going up to the Old Volcano's peak.
3. Visit the Old Catarman (Gui-ob) Church Ruins in BonbonLocated in Barangay Bonbon, you will find the church of the Old Catarman town. It was wiped out and partly submerged by volcanic materials from the eruption of Mt. Vulcan sometime in 1871 to 1875. Only the church ruins and bell tower were left from the old town.
4. Swim at the SpringsCamiguin is blessed to have plenty of cold and hot springs. Try the Ardent Hot Spring with water reaching at 40 degrees Celsius coming from the dormant volcano, Mt. Hibok hibok. If you want a cold spring, head to Sto Niño Cold Spring located 4 kilometers north of Catarman with a huge pool of cold spring water.
5. Marvel at the beauty of the Cross Marker and Sunken CemeteryThis is the white cross erected to mark the cemetery that was swept by the volcanic birth of Mt. Vulcan that led to the sinking of the town's cemetery at below sea level. There are boats that you can hire to bring you to the cross. I suggest that you visit it late afternoon as it is a wonderful spot to watch the breathtaking sun setting at the background. It's also an ideal place for snorkeling and diving.
6. See the Ancestral HousesCamiguin still has a number of striking and elaborate ancestral houses that date back to Spanish and American Colonial Periods. These houses can be seen as you pass through the island's well paved circumferential hi-way.
7. Beach bumming at White Island / SandbarLocated 2 kilometers across the sea from Agoho, you have to take a 10-minute boat ride to this uninhabited white sandbar with the picturesque view of the old vulcan and the majestic Mt. Hibok-hibok. This is where you could beach bum and get some tan. It is suggested that you go here early morning or late afternoon to watch stunning sunrise and sunset.
8. Spend a day at Mantigue IslandA small island located about 3.5 kilometers off the coast of Barangay San Roque, it would take a 30-minute boat ride to the island of Mantigue. It has white sand beach with corals offshore, marine sanctuary and hiking trail. Savor a day of beach bumming and snorkeling while enjoying the clear water, blue skies and the mountainous terrains as an awesome backdrop.
9. Swim at Katibawasan FallsLocated 5 kilometers southeast of Mambajao is a stunning 250-foot waterfalls that surges to a rock pool bordered by beautiful orchids and ferns. A 15 pesos entrance fee is required and a few steps down on concrete stairs is needed to reach the catch basin. Enjoy a refreshing dip on the pool as a perfect grand finale for a day of touring around the island.
10. Bring home some boxes of Pastel de Camiguin and LanzonesNever leave the island without tasting the lucious yema-filled bun called Pastel. Though seasonal, also take home with you the famous lanzones from Camiguin. Everyone will surely love it if you bring home some of these as pasalubong.
- How to get there? CLICK HERE
- Where to stay? Puesta del Sol Beach Bungalows
- Camiguin Day Tour PART 1 | PART 2
- Travel Guide? CLICK HERE
Certainly, Camiguin is blessed with natural wonders and historical landmarks. There are just so many things that you can do and experience in Camiguin that will surely make your trip enjoyable! It will make you say "I will come again, Camiguin!"
Read full disclosure here.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|