Cotabato City is the administrative center of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM). Although geographically located within the boundaries of the province of Maguindanao, Cotabato City is politically independent from the province and is part of SOCCSKSARGEN region. The city offers monumental attractions, historical sights, and other man-made and natural wonders. There are a lot of tourist spots and attractions to enjoy and activities to do in Cotabato City. One could experience a different culture, learn new things, appreciate great architectures, and try new food, among many others.
This travel guide will provide you with basic information on how to get there, things to do, where to stay, where to eat, suggested itinerary, estimated budget and contact persons that will help you plan your visit.
HOW TO GET THERE?
From Manila: There are direct flights to Cotabato City. The airport is located at Brgy. Awang in the neighboring municipality of Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao. From Awang airport, take a habal-habal to get to the main road, fare is 10 pesos. Then take a jeepney bound for Cotabato City, fare is 15 pesos.
From General Santos City: There are buses (Husky Bus) and passenger vans that go directly to Cotabato City. Fare is around 300 pesos and travel time is about 4 hours.
From Davao City: There are also buses (Weena Express) and passenger vans that go directly to Cotabato City. Fare is also around 300 pesos and travel time is about 4 hours.
THINGS TO DO?
- Visit the Grand Old City Hall and City Plaza
- Marvel at the Magnificent Grand Mosque
- Take a look at The People's Palace (New City Hall)
- Cross Tamontaka Bridge
- Try Local Delicacies
- Buy Souvenirs and Pasalubong
- Visit Tamontaka Church
- Go Caving at Kuta Wato Cave
- Climb Pedro Colina Hill
- Visit the Metal and Brass-making Community
Regional Autonomous Government Center, Barter Trade Center along Governor Guttierez Street, Sultan Kudarat Monument, Takumi Butai Memorial Shrine, Tantawan Park, Timaco Hill and Bongo Island
Since Datu Odin Sinsuat in Maguindanao is nearby, you could also visit:
WHERE TO STAY?
Tel. No. (064) 421-2307
Telefax (064) 421-3232
Grand Rio Hotel
#80 Don Rufino Alonzo Ave.
Telefax: (064) 421-8770
Estosan Garden Hotel
Gov. Gutierrez Boulevard
Tel. No. (064) 421-6777 to 78
Telefax: (064) 421-5488
Cor.Makakua and Jose Lim St.
Tel. No. (064) 421-5118
Pacific Heights Hotel and The Marqueza
#66 Don. T.V. Juliano Avenue
Tel. No. (064) 421-2249
Telefax: (064) 421-5252
Citi Plaza Hotel
Tel. No. (064) 421-91-48
El Manuel Hotel
111 Quezon Avenue, El Manuel Drive
Tel. Nos. (064) 421-9883 / 421 5552
#48 Notre Dame Avenue
Tel. No. (064) 421-9008
Azaleas Pension House
128-I-A Sinsuat Avenue,RS
Tel. No. (064) 421-8122
Telefax No. (064) 421-9088
Mobile No. 09177260282
Sardonyx Pension House
Gov. Gutierrez Avenue
Tel. No. (064) 421-1364
San Isidro St.
Tel. No. (064) 421-2941
Dr. Rabago St.
Tel. No. (064) 421-5491
Sultan Makakua Street
Tel. No. (064) 421-3583
WHERE TO EAT?
There are fast food chains such as Jollibee, Mc Donald's, Chowking, Greenwich and Mang Inasal. Alternatively, you could look for the street-side eateries and barbeque stands along the streets near the City Plaza and experience the local flavors of Cotabato City. Have a taste of the pastil (one of the most popular Maguindanaon delicacies) and other local delicacies such as beef rendang, kumukunsi and beef sinina at specialty restaurants around the city.
- 10:00 AM - Depart for Cotabato City from Manila
- 11:00 AM - Arrive in Cotabato City
- 12:00 NN - Check-in
- 01:00 PM - Depart for Datu Odin Sinsuat
- 01:30 PM - Arrive at Al Jamelah Weaving Center
- 02:30 PM - Depart for Lourdes Grotto
- 03:30 PM - Go back to Cotabato City
- 04:00 PM - Visit People's Palace (New City Hall)
- 05:00 PM - Visit the Old City Hall
- 06:00 PM - Dinner / try local delicacies
- 09:00 PM - Sleep
- 07:00 AM - Breakfast
- 08:00 AM - Depart for Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Grand Mosque
- 08:45 NN - Arrive at the Grand Mosque, explore
- 10:00 PM - Depart for Awang Airport or wherever your next destination is
This is my suggested itinerary for a 2-day trip in Cotabato City and Datu Odin Sinsuat, Maguindanao coming from Manila. You could adjust it based on how many days you want to explore and the places you want to see and experience.
- Habal-habal (Airport to High-way) - 10.00 pesos/way
- Jeepney (Main road ro Cotabato City) - 15.00 pesos each
- Accommodation at Hotel Filipino - 391.00 pesos each per night (group of 3)
- Food (2 days) - 500.00 / person
- City proper to People's Palace (jeepney) - 8.00 pesos
- People's Palace to Datu Odin Sinsuat (Jeepney) - 8.00 pesos
- Datu Odin Sinsuat to Husky Bus terminal (Jeepney) - 8.00 pesos
- Habal-habal to Grand Mosque from Husky Bus terminal - 80.00 pesos (2-way)
- Jeepney going back to City Proper - 10.00 pesos
- Jeepney (City Proper to Lourdes Grotto) - 15.00 pesos
- Jeepney and Habal-habal to Airport - 20.00 pesos
- Airport Terminal Fee (as of July 2012) - 40.00 pesos
ESTIMATED TOTAL OF BASIC EXPENSES - PHP 1,105.00 per person
Please note that these are just the basic expenses per person for a group of 3 persons. These are dependent on the places you want to visit in Cotabato City, you may add other expenses for souvenirs and tips.
For assistance, please coordinate with the Department of Tourism ARMM through the following contact details:
Madame Raifa Adiong: 0917-7068838
Shiela Ganda: 0915-4686806
|This trip to Cotabato City and Datu Odin Sinuat in Maguindanao happened on July 7-8, 2012 during my "2-day Maguindanao and Cotabato City trip". You may read other posts below:|
DATU ODIN SINSUAT, MAGUINDANAO
More photos on Pinoy AdvenTurista's Facebook Page, click here.
Read full disclosure here.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|