Planning a trip to Japan? What are the Japan visa requirements in applying for a tourist visa? Want to know the steps how to get a Japan tourist visa in the Philippines? It's so easy, fast, and best of convenient! Just follow these simple steps below.

As a Filipino, it's hard to travel abroad in countries that require a Visa. Japan for example, you need a visa to enter their country. But the good news is, it's now so easy to get a visa to Japan. It is now opening its country to attract more tourists. And I am so lucky because on my first try to get a Japan Tourist Visa in 2015, I got approved for a single entry. And on my 2nd try the following year, I got 5 years multiple entry Japan Tourist Visa! Yey!

Now, let me share to you the Japan Visa Requirements and how to apply for a Japan Tourist Visa in the Philippines (with tips, reminders and steps in application). This Japan Visa Blog is intended for Japan Tourist Visa application for Filipinos or Philippine passport holders.

How to apply and get a Japanese Visa in the Philippines

How to apply and get a Japanese Tourist Visa for Filipinos in the Philippines?

Updated: March 2019


1. Philippine Passport

  • Signed Passport with a validity of more than 6 months.
  • Broken lamination of the Picture Portion will not be accepted.
  • Must have at least 2 blank pages left in the passport.
  • Passport should be signed and in good condition.

2. Visa Application Form

  • You may download the application form HERE.
  • Print the visa application form in A4 size paper.
  • It should be duly accomplished. Hand-written or electronically is okay.
  • Do not leave anything blank. Write N/A if not applicable and avoid any erasures.
  • To help you in filling out the form, sample application form and how to accomplish it can be found HERE.
  • Make sure that all information are correct.
  • Don't forget to sign it and put the date of your application.

3. ID Photo

  • One (1) copy of 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background.
  • Just go to any photo processing stalls and tell them to take your photo for Japan Visa Application.
  • Write applicant’s name and birth date on back side of the photo.
  • Photo must be properly pasted to the designated portion of the visa application form.
  • Photo must be taken within the last 6 months.
  • For the guidelines on ID Photo, click HERE.

4. PSA (NSO) Birth Certificate

  • PSA (NSO) issued with receipt and valid within one (1) year.
  • If you are pressed for time, I suggest that you get your birth certificate from NSO Serbilis Centers. I got mine on the same day.
  • If the applicant has his/her passport (old or valid) with used Japanese visa, birth certificate is not required. Just submit your old passport with your expired/used Japan visa.

  • If your PSA birth certificate is blurry or unreadable, or has unreadable information, you need to submit the PSA birth certificate along with a birth certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar.
  • For late registered PSA birth certificates, you have to submit additional requirements such as baptismal certificate and school record (Form 137) from high school or elementary and School Yearbook (if possible).
  • If there's no record of live birth certificate at the PSA office, get a "Certificate of Non-Record" from PSA and submit a birth certificate from the Local Civil Registrar of the city or town where you were born.

5. PSA(NSO) Marriage Contract (If Married)

  • PSA(NSO)-issued marriage certificate.
  • It should be issued within one year.
  • If the applicant has his/her passport (old or valid) with used Japanese visa, marriage contract is not required and can be exempted.
  • If there's no record of marriage contract at the PSA office, get a "Certificate of Non-Record" from PSA and submit a marriage contract from the Local Civil Registrar of the city or town where your marriage was held.

6. Tour Itinerary or Schedule of Stay

  • Prepared by the applicant or the travel agency.
  • It doesn't need to be very complicated or detailed. What I usually do is I put the date, places to visit, and the name, address, and contact number of the hotel.
  • You can download a sample copy of the itineraryhere.

SAMPLE JAPAN ITINERARIES: You can follow these sample Japan itineraries. Again make it as simple as possible.

7. Bank Balance Certificate for Applicants without Guarantor

  • Must be the most recent and must be issued within the past 3 months.
  • There is no pre-defined amount that should be on your bank account. As long as you'll be able to sustain your stay stated on what you've presented on your tour itinerary, (I think) would be okay.

8. Income Tax Return for Applicants without Guarantor

  • Original and one (1) photocopy of Form 2316 or 1701.
  • In the absence of an ITR, you should submit a letter of explanation.
  • In the explanation letter, just explain your source of income, and why you don't have an ITR.
  • If you own a business, submit a copy of your business registration, business permit, DTI registration certificate, or BIR receipts, along with an explanation letter why you don't have an ITR.
  • If the applicant is unemployed, a minor or a student, I recommend that you apply with a guarantor.

What if you don't have an income tax return? You may refer here: How to Get a Japan Visa without ITR (Income Tax Return)?


If you're applying for a multiple entry Japan visa, just submit the same requirements, except for the birth certificate and marriage contract. Then ask the travel agency for the form in requesting for a multiple entry visa. In the form, you just need to fill it up with information on why you want to have a multiple entry visa. Submit it along with the requirements, then proceed to step 2.


  • Submit a guarantee letter. You can download sample guarantee letter here.
  • Proof of relationship with guarantor
  • Bank Certificate and Income Tax Return (ITR Form 2316) of guarantor.


  • When preparing your tour itinerary for visa application, make it as simple as possible. A 3 to 4 days itinerary in one city is enough for visa application purposes. Don't make it too complicated.
  • When your visa application is approved, you don't need to follow the itinerary that you submitted. For example, even if you submitted a 4-days Tokyo itinerary for your visa application, you can go to Osaka, Sapporo, or Nagoya or in any parts of Japan and maximize the number of days given to you.
  • For the amount of money in the bank, it would be great if your bank certificate contains 100,000 pesos or more. That's based on my experience.
  • Flights and hotel bookings are not part of the Japan visa requirements when applying for a tourist visa. Don't book your flights or hotel if you're not sure if you'll get approved.
  • In filling out the flight number, hotel address, and contact numbers, you can simply use Google to search for it. Or you may use airlines' websites to search for flight datails.
  • If you have a guarantor/sponsor from Japan, just write down your sponsor's address in Japan and contact numbers if you intend to stay in your sponsor's home in Japan.

After preparing all your Japan Visa Requirements and travel documents, proceed to Step 2.


  • Walk-ins are not allowed. Don't go to Japan Embassy and submit your application.
  • Visa application should be coursed through an accredited travel agency.
  • The list of registered agencies can be found HERE.
  • Please note that Visa Application is FREE. But travel agencies will charge a processing fee of around 1,000 to 2,000 pesos, depending on the agency.
  • The visa processing fee is non-refundable, whether you visa visa application is approved or denied

TIPS AND REMINDERS: Make sure that your Japan visa requirements are complete before submitting them to the accredited travel agency. You may ask the help of the travel agency in checking all the requirements.


  • After submitting all the requirements and paying the processing fee, you just have to wait for the result of your application.
  • If additional requirements are needed, the agency will let you know.
  • Processing time is about a week. But sometimes, you can get it in as fast as 3 days.
  • If granted, the Single Entry (SE) Japanese Visa is valid for 3 months.
  • For Multiple Entry (ME), it is valid for 5 or 10 years.
  • The usual granted number of days for tourist visa is 15 days for SE and 30 days for ME, from date of arrival in Japan.

For the complete information on Japan Visa Requirements and Application in the Philippines, visit www.ph.emb-japan.go.jp.

I wish you all the best and good luck on your visa application! See you Japan!

To help you plan your Japan trip, you may read my Japan blog posts below:








Thank You For Sharing!

SHARE this on Facebook SHARE this on Twitter


  1. Hi!No need for COE and/or payslips?

  2. hi. My flight will be on December, should I apply for a Visa as early as April? Or dapat 3 months before our flight pa? Thank u

  3. My son and I applied our Japan Visa last week March 27 wed. then my travel agency called me up on Sat afternoon March 30 telling me that our Visa was approved �� so fast. Then when I actually received our passport back I check the date of issue of the visa, it was March 28, the day after we just submitted them �� so fast. Thanks God.

  4. Can I apply for a single entry visa THREE (3) months before our departure date?

  5. I have questions please help my visa application I submitted in May 11 but till now not done yet it almost 15 days.

  6. Hi! No need to show the ADB balance on the bank certificate? Thanks!

  7. Hi! I am a govt. Employee.i am applying as tourist .do i still need to attached permit to travel from my office?

  8. Hey sir,my name is nahid im from bangladesh but now i live in turkey i have turkish rasidance permit so i wanna go to japan as tourist so please tell me cab i get visa

  9. i wanna know, my mother is 69 years old , i wanted her to apply for japan visa, but the travel agency asked her to get an Form 137 and baptismal certificate ? the reason is because her birth certificate was registered late ... my question is is there any option to do if my mother cannot provide a Form 137 of school? Imagine 69 years old na sya tapos hihingan sya ng Form 137 of school , eh yung School atteneded nya is already closed :((

  10. Hi just want to ask if NSO/PSA receipt really need? Thank you.

  11. Hi, I just want to ask if NS/PSA Receipt really need? Thank you.

  12. I am a housewife for almost 2 years now , I only have 2017 ITR , my husband ( american living in chicago ) and i wants to go on vacation is japan , I have bank accounts but after paying house and car payments, money is a bit low, so i am planning to request for a bank certificate before making payments so that the total money i have will be 100k, will that be okay ?

    1. Submitting an old ITR is not necessary. You should have your husband as your guarantor/sponsor instead.

  13. what if my american citizen husband will sponsor our trip ? what requirements should i present to the agency ? TIA

  14. hi good day. sana matulungan mo ako.
    im kinda worried about my passport signature.. its just i rewrite it again n same sign. parang kinapalan ko signature . but look like i mess up my real signature. is there have any problem in immigartion.. a

  15. Hello. How would you write in the application form if you have 3 hotels during your stay? Thank you.

  16. Hi, May I ask for a sample copy of your guarantee letter because I can no longer open your link anymore? And does the PSA birth certificate mandatory to have an issued receipt that is valid only in 1 year? Because i have a PSA birth certificate however I don't have an issued receipt already? Can I stil submit it alone without the receipt? Hoping for your immediate response on this. I'll be traveling in Japan this end of December 2022. Thank you.


Looking for Budget Travel Guide Blogs, Hotel Reviews, and Sample DIY Itineraries?
Welcome to Pinoy Adventurista, "Your Next Ultimate Adventure Starts Here!"

Pinoy Adventurista is one of the Top Travel Blogs in the Philippines and the World. In 2013, he visited all the 81 provinces in the Philippines.