Metro Cebu is a bustling busy metropolis much like Manila. Rich in history, culture, great food and natural wonders, there are many things to do in Cebu. The province is so big that it would require you several days to really visit most of the famous tourist spots and attractions. You can find many places and do many things in (and near) Cebu City. For first-timers, I listed here some of the most popular attractions and things to do in (and near) Metro Cebu.
10 THINGS TO DO IN CEBU
1. Say a prayer at Basilica del Sto. NiñoLocated along Osmeña Boulevard, it is one of the most famous landmarks in Cebu. It was founded in the 16th century and it is considered as the oldest Roman Catholic Church established in the country. The present church was completed between 1739-1740 and has been the home of the Sto. Niño, the oldest religious image in the country. Outside the church you can buy candles from the candle vendors and they will ask for your family name, then dance to the high heavens while praying for your family.
2. Visit Magellan's CrossJust a few steps away from Sto. Niño Church is the Magellan's Cross, a symbol of Roman Catholicism in the Philippines. Housed in a chapel, the cross is said to have been planted through the order of Ferdinand Magellan to signify one important event - the propagation of the Roman Catholic faith in the islands. It also symbolizes the colonization of the Philippines on behalf of King Philip II of Spain.
3. Check out the smallest fort in the country, Fort San PedroFort San Pedro (Fuerza de San Pedro ) is a military defense structure which is considered as the oldest and smallest fort in the country. The fort is triangular in shape consisting of three bastions – La Concepcion, San Ignacio de Loyola and San Miguel. It is located in the area now called Plaza Indepedencia, in the Pier Area of Cebu City.
4. Visit Mactan ShrineLocated in Lapu-lapu City, it is a site dedicated in honor of Lapu-Lapu, Ferdinand Magellan, and the Battle of Mactan. A life-sized statue of Lapu Lapu and a painting that depicts the war of Lapu-Lapu against Ferdinand Magellan can be seen here. It is also the site of Kadaugan sa Mactan festival where a re-enactment of the battle is held every 27th of April every year.
5. Shop for Pasalubong and Souvenirs at Tabo-an MarketLocated in downtown Cebu City, Tabo-an market is the haven for dried danggit, tuyo, squid and dilis, to name a few. Here, you could also find other Cebu delicacies such as dried mangoes, otap, among many others.
READ ALSO: Top Best Hotels and Resorts in Cebu
6. Get an adrenaline rush at Sky Experience AdventureIf you're seeking for great adventures within the city, go to Crown Regency Hotel and Towers near Fuente Osmeña. Here, you could try heart-pounding activities such as Edge Coaster, Tower Walk, Urban Zipline and Vertical Climb.
7. Visit the stunning Cebu Provincial Capitol BuildingLocated in Osmena Blvd., Cebu City, this is the seat of the Provincial government of Cebu.
8. Relieve history by visiting the Heritage of Cebu MonumentLocated along the oldest street in the Philippines, Colon Street in Cebu City, it showcases the significant events in the history of Cebu. The monument was done by National Artist Edgardo Castrillo.
9. Unwind at Mango SquareCebu has lots of places to go to enjoy your night. One of them is Mango Square located near Fuente Circle where you could find fun and lively atmosphere, good music and an awesome nightlife in the heart of Cebu City.
10. Go on a Food TripEat to your heart’s content and worry about your diet after. Don't miss Cebu's famous lechon and sutukil. Also, visit Larsian and sample on Cebu’s street food paired with their "puso" (rice wrapped and cooked in palm leaves), food trip at its finest.
There are really a lot of things you can do and experience when visiting Cebu. I highly suggest that you visit these tourist spots and attractions and make your first Cebu trip a memorable one.
READ ALSO: Top Best Hotels and Resorts in Cebu
Where to Stay in Cebu City
Cebu City has a wide array of affordable and high quality hotels, guest/pension houses, hostel and inns for you to stay in! Here are 3 of my recommended accommodations in Cebu City:
Please click the hotel name to read my full review
- The Henry Hotel [ BOOK HERE! ]
No. 1 Paseo Saturnino, Ma. Luisa Road Banilad Cebu City
- The Center Suites [ BOOK HERE! ]
Brgy. Camputhaw, Gonzales Compd., Escario Street, Cebu City
- Gran Prix Hotel [ BOOK HERE! ]
Corner F. Ramos St. & General Maxilom Avenue, Cebu City (Near Fuente Osmeña)
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|