"This store is too small for dishonest people". Honesty Coffee Shop is a store slash "coffee shop" located near the Port of Ivana, Batanes. It is owned by Ivatan couple Jose and Elena Gabilo which became famous worldwide for showcasing Ivatan's honesty. What makes this store one of its kind in the world and in the Philippines? There's no one manning the store. Instead, the owners rely on the honesty of the guests visiting the place.
Everyone is free to get what they need and in a log book, you just have to write down what you took with its corresponding amount. You then put your payment on the box provided.
Honesty Shop rules hung on the wall of the shop:
- Self-service only
- Get what you need
- Pay for whatever you need
- If you have no change, knock at the next door
- If no one answers, sorry you give more than the price
- Always remember, "honesty is the best policy"
There's also a guestbook in the coffee shop where tourists and visitors could express their admiration for the store or to leave a message for the owners to see.
The shop has become not just one of the "must-visit" attractions in Batanes, but also a testament to the Ivatan's innate honesty.
Certainly, the Honesty Coffee Shop is one of its kind not just in Batanes but in the entire Philippines.
MORE OF BATANES:
- Where to Stay in Basco, Batanes: Marfel's Lodge
- Batan Island North Tour (Day 1)
- Sabtang Island Tour (Day 2)
- Batan Island South Tour (Day 3)
- Where to Eat in BATANES: Pension Ivatan Hometel and Restaurant
- Where to EAT in BATANES: Bunker's Cafe at Naidi Hills, Basco Batanes
- Where to EAT in BATANES: Paypanapanayan Canteen in Sabtang Island
- Where to EAT in BATANES: Marconines Canteen in Racuh A Payaman
- Where to EAT in BATANES: Vatang Grill and Restaurant in Ivana
- What to Buy in Batanes - Souvenirs and Pasalubong
More photos on Pinoy AdvenTurista's Facebook Page, click here.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|