Most of the time, we seek culture everywhere we travel - especially abroad. Isn't it? If you've been following this blog, you'll know that I love seeing old structures and heritage houses. That is why, I am so happy when Cebu Pacific told us that part of our itinerary on our Nagoya Japan familiarization tour is a visit to the historic village of Shirakawa-go in Gifu Prefecture, Japan.
A UNESCO World Heritage Site declared in 1995, Shirakawa-go is a small traditional village famous for its traditional gassho-zukuri farmhouses. We specifically went to the Ogimachi Village which is the largest village and main attraction of Shirakawa-go Traditional Village.
The village is filled with several architectural marvels. It's like walking on an open air museum as we roam around the village seeing rows of several dozen well-preserved gassho-zukuri farmhouses.
What I loved most during our visit to Shirakawa-go is the chance to enter one of the houses for us to see how they live. We were able to tour the huge house from its ground floor up to the attic. The fun part was when we met the owners and they even toured us around their house. I even had a selfie! Hehehe!
Walking around the village, you'll also see some interesting structures as well as homes with gift and souvenir shops where you could buy some "pasalubong" for your family and friends back home. It is also the best place to try some local delicacies! Some of the shops also sell a variety of local eats.
A visit to Shirakawa-go is an ideal day trip from Nagoya to Takayama or a stop on the bus journey if you're traveling from Takayama, Gifu Prefecture going back to Nagoya City.
Thank you Cebu Pacific Air for bringing us to Gifu Prefecture and for giving us the opportunity to see one of 19 world heritage sites in Japan.
SEE ALSO: HOW TO APPLY FOR A JAPAN TOURIST VISA IN THE PHILIPPINES (with List of Requirements and Steps in Application)
Flights from Manila to JapanNagoya is the gateway to Gifu if you're coming from the Philippines. Cebu Pacific Air, the leading airline in the Philippines, flies between Manila and Nagoya (Chubu Centrair International Airport) every Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. Book your flights through the CebuPacificAir.com. For updates and seat sale announcements, check out www.facebook.com/cebupacificair.
NOTE: This Nagoya Familiarization Tour was held in October 6-10, 2015 and was organized by Cebu Pacific Air. Thank you for inviting me to be part of this trip!
READ MORE: Japan Series
- TRAVEL TIP: Osaka and Kyoto Japan 4D/3N Tour Itinerary
- THINGS TO DO IN OSAKA: Experience Thrill and Excitement at Universal Studios Japan
- What's the Big Deal about PABLO Cheesecake and Tarts?
- Top 10 Best Things to Do in Nagoya, Japan
- HOW TO APPLY FOR A JAPAN TOURIST VISA IN THE PHILIPPINES (with List of Requirements and Steps in Application)
- HOTELS IN TOYOTA, JAPAN: Hotel Route Inn Toyota Asahigaoka
- THINGS TO DO IN JAPAN: Toyota Museum and Plant Tour in Toyota City in Aichi Prefecture
- Top 5 Best Things To Do at Laguna Ten Bosch in Gamagori, Aichi Japan
- Japanese Food Sample Making at Sample Village Iwasaki in Gujo Hachiman, Gifu Japan
- THINGS TO DO IN JAPAN: Orange Picking at Gamagori Orange Park, Aichi Japan
- THINGS TO DO IN JAPAN: Experiencing Takayama Autumn Festival in Gifu Prefecture
- Walking Tour at Shirakawa-go Village, "A UNESCO World Heritage Site"
Read full disclosure here.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|