A popular birding site where migratory birds love to go to is the famous Las Islas de Sta. Cruz Islands, located off the coast of Zamboanga City. We went there on the first day of Zamboanga City Bird Festival 2016 last February 22-24, 2016. From Paseo del Mar, we took a motorized boat and after about 15-20 minutes we arrived at the mouth of the lagoon where a small community of the Sama Banguingui tribe is located.
We transferred on a paddle boat and explored the lagoon teeming with lush mangroves such as tindog-tindog, pototan and other mangrove species (I hope I got the names right. Hehehe!).
This huge mangrove is about a hundred years old according to our guide.
Sir Richard our guide from the Zamboanga City Tourism Office explained to us the different types of mangroves that can be found in the lagoon.
As a favorite site among migratory birds, We also saw some Purple Herons, Egrets, Philippines Wild Ducks and other species of birds while exploring the lagoon.
We also saw some sting-less jelly fishes! And they were a lot! Yey!
The lagoon is where the local residents grow some agar-agar and lato seaweeds. Yum!!! Pang-salad! Hehehe!
When visiting the lagoon, be sure to schedule your trip during high tide so that the boat can pass through the lush mangroves.
Exploring the lagoon on a paddle boat is one of the best experiences I had on my recent visit in Zamboanga City. Watch the video below to have a glimpse of our experience.
Video taken with Supremo 1 Action Camera
Exploring the Lagoon on Sta. Cruz Island, Zamboanga City
Exploring the Lagoon on Sta. Cruz Island, Zamboanga CityPosted by Pinoy AdvenTurista on Wednesday, 2 March 2016
This is one of the many things to do and experience in Zamboanga City. Don't miss it when visiting "Asia's Latin City!"
- 30 Best Things to Do in Zamboanga City
- The Pink Sand Beach of Sta. Cruz Island
- Visiting the Old Badjao Burial Grounds on Sta Cruz Island
- WHERE TO EAT: 8 Must-try Food in Zamboanga City
- 2nd Zamboanga Bird Festival in Zamboanga City
- Riding the Colorful Vinta in Zamboanga City
- Pasonanca and Freedom Parks, Mt. Pulong Bato and La Jardin de Maria Clara Lobregat
- Bienvenidos Ciudad de Zamboanga!, a DIY Walking Tour
- Travel Tip: How to Get in and Out of Zamboanga City Airport
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|