Just between the islands of Cebu and Masbate there is a paradise island called Carnaza Island!
Solo traveling may not be appealing at first but it is one of the most liberating feeling. It is risky and sometimes totally irrational. It displaces you from your safe place and your little luxuries to test. It is those tests that inspire change and insight. But that's the thing about traveling.
Last May 24, 2015, I decided to spend my quarterly solo backpacking trip on Carnaza Island. The island is one of the best places to stay if you’re looking to get away from the crowd and enjoy nature, both “jungle” and sea. The place is not for ordinary tourists but for intrepid adventurers who seek and choose to follow the less traveled path.
Going to the island was not a walk in the park. On board in a fisherman's boat while battling the waves was an adrenaline rush.
Locals were very accommodating and friendly. That's another sign of relief considering that I was traveling alone. There were no hotels or lodges on the island. But there is Roger Recla who offers bed-space for adventurers who wish to visit the island.
The atmosphere is very relaxed and quiet. If you want to get closer to nature, I suggest to add Carnaza Island in your bucket list.
We all have reasons why we travel. Some travel for business, some to experience the world out there, others to escape routine. And yet some, travel in search of their souls. The place offered what I wanted on that specific travel I have found both and my place back into the world.
How To Get To Carnaza Island
- From Cebu North bus terminal ride the bus bound for Maya-Kawit or Maya-Bagay for 4 hour travel time. (150php) Tell the bus assistant that you're dropping off at Tapilon Port, Daanbantayan Cebu. First Trip to Maya is at 2:00AM. Buses are available anytime.
- From Tapilon port ride a boat to Carnaza Island (100php). First trip is at 7:00 AM and the last trip is at 4:00 PM. Expect bigger waves if you travel in the afternoon. Estimated travel time is about 2 hours.
Where To Stay in Carnaza Island
- There's no resort or lodge in the Island you can pitch a tent or look for a host. I stayed at Recla's residence for 200php/night. You can contact them at 0929-7189927.
Travel Tips and Reminders
- There's only one trip going back Tapilon port scheduled at 8:00 am.(100php) Last trip schedule going back to Cebu from Tapilon is 9:00 pm.
- There is only electricity between 7AM and 10PM (so one must bring a flashlight).
- Heads Up - make sure not to dip yourself near the residential area. Locals are not aware of proper waste disposal.
ABOUT THE AUTHORThor Pardinas is a lover of life, travel and fun. He always considers himself a free spirit with a gypsy soul, surrendering gratefully to wherever life takes him. Follow his awesome travels and adventures on his Facebook page La Vida De Un Gitano and on his Instagram account @iamthorp.
Read full disclosure here.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|