Itbayat is the largest island in the entire Batanes group of islands. It is a municipality located northwest of Batan Island and the closest inhabited island to Taiwan. It is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, by the South China Sea on the west and by small uninhabited islands in the north such Siayan, Matarem, Misanga and Mavudis islands. To get there, you have 2 options: (1) take a 4-hour boat ride from Basco port or (2) take a 10-minute plane ride from Basco Airport.
Basco to Itbayat and Itbayat to Basco by BoatThe most common way of getting to Itbayat is via the 4-hour faluwa ride from Basco. Itransa and Ocean Spirit have daily trips (except Sundays) to Itbayat from Basco Port. Itransa leaves Basco at around 6:00 AM while Ocean Spirit leaves at around 8:00 AM. The same boats will leave Itbayat for Basco between 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM after unloading its passengers and cargoes.
Please be reminded that weather in Batanes is so unpredictable, which means trips are prone to cancellations. Fare from Basco to Itbayat and vice versa is 450 pesos per way.
For inquiries and reservations, please contact the following numbers:
- M/B Ocean Spirit: 0920-6640137
- M/B Itranza: 0908-5022814
- Schedule your trip 3 days before or 3 days after full moon as it is believed that the sea is "calmer" during those times
- Prepare yourself mentally and physically for the long boat ride
- If you have sea sickness, be sure to take your medicines
- Be early at Basco port to have yourself listed at the manifest
- Sit on the right side of the boat if you wish to see limestone cliffs and grassy land above the island when you reach the Southwest tip of Itbayat
- Be prepared for huge waves and to get wet while on board
- Be careful when disembarking from the boat in Itbayat
- Weather in Batanes is very unpredictable, be ready for trip delays and cancellations
- Itbayat town proper is about 2 kilometers away from Chinapoliran port, tricycle ride is about 100 pesos per tricycle to the town proper
Basco to Itbayat and Itbayat to Basco by PlaneNorthSky Air has an 8-seater plane that ply the Basco - Itbayat - Basco routes 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). The plane ride takes about 10-12 minutes and costs 1,875 pesos per way (including transportation from airport to Itbayat town proper and vice versa), for a minimum of 8 passengers.
Flight is usually once a day, but there are instances that it could be twice a day depending on the number of passengers that reserved. The plane leaves Basco at around 11:00 AM and the same plane leaves Itbayat Airport for Basco at around 11:30 AM. You can find NorthSky's booking office inside Basco Airport and in Itbayat town.
For flight bookings and reservations, please contact NorthSky Air at:
- Basco Office: 0949-1550100
- Itbayat Office: 0920-9651495
- Be sure to reserve your seats in advance
- Flight will only push through if it is full
- Weather in Batanes is very unpredictable, be ready for flight delays and cancellations
I highly suggest that you include Itbayat in your itinerary when traveling to Batanes. It's really one of a kind experience! I will definitely visit it again soon!
Tour Guide in Itbayat? Call Kuya Jojo at 0920-660-3801
Accommodation in Itbayat? Cano's Lodge: Call Mrs. Cano at 0919-300-4787
This is a part of my 8-day trip to Batanes that happened on January 17-24, 2014.
- Planning a trip to Batanes? Read this practical Travel Guide on: "How to Plan a Trip to Batanes on a Budget"
For more stories about Batanes, click here.
More photos on Pinoy AdvenTurista's Facebook Page, click here.
Let's stay connected! Please like my Facebook Page:
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|