Masskara Festival is the most anticipated festival in the country held every 3rd week of October in the "City of Smiles" Bacolod City. The festival's highlights are expected to happen on October 19-20, 2013 with the street and arena dance competitions for the school and barangay categories respectively. Just like the previous years, the Masskara Festival's street dancing competition will be performed at Araneta Avenue.
Mass, which means "many", and Kara, a Spanish word for "face", it is a festival of smiles where colorful masks were worn to show a happy spirit of the Negrenses despite experiencing tragedy and bad times in the sugar industry.
Tough the official schedule is not yet released, based on previous years, Masskara Festival's highlights are always held every weekend nearest to October 19th, which is the Charter day of Bacolod City.
Masskara Festival 2013 Highlights
October 18, 2013 (Friday) - MassKara Street Dancing School Category (2:00 PM)
October 19, 2013 (Saturday) - Bacolod City 75th Diamond Charter Anniversary Celebrations
October 20, 2013 (Sunday) - MassKara Street Dancing Barangay Category (12:00 NN)
Note: Street Dancing will be along Araneta Avenue and the arena competition will be at Bacolod City Plaza. Schedule is subject to change without prior notice.
You may read my coverage on last year's Masskara Festival below:
- Bacolod MassKara Festival 2012 Street and Arena Dance Competitions winners (Barangay and School Categories)
- Photos from Masskara Festival 2012 Street Dance Performance (Barangay Category)
- Photos from Masskara Festival 2012 Street Dance Performance (School Category)
How to Get to Bacolod City
Bacolod City, the Capital of Negros Occidental is a 1-hour plane ride from Manila or 30 minutes by air from Cebu City. Several airline companies fly several times daily to Bacolod City from Manila and Cebu.
By sea it is an 18-hour ferry ride from Manila or if you're coming from Iloilo, it is an hour ferry ride.
By land and sea, it is 7 hours away from Cebu City.
How to Get in and Out of Bacolod-Silay Airport
The Bacolod-Silay International Airport is located in Barangay Bagtic in Silay City, some 15 kilometers northeast of Bacolod City. Due to its location, getting in and out of the airport is quite a challege especially for first-timers. Click HERE for some of the ways on how to get in and out of the airport terminal.
Things to do in (and near) Bacolod City
- Swim and Hike at Mambukal Resort in the nearby town of Murcia
- Visit "The Ruins" in Talisay City
- Go Cultural and Explore Silay City
- Drop by the Capitol Grounds and Lagoon
- Visit San Sebastian Cathedral and Bishop’s Palace
- Climb Pope John Paul II Tower
- Walk through the heritage houses in Silay
- Indulge on Chicken Inasal, cakes from Calea and Silay recipes of Paño-paño, Pili Bars, Fresh Lumpia, Empanada and Guapple Pie
- Bring home some pasalubong of Piaya, Napoleones, Pinasugbo and other Bacolod delicacies
Where to Stay in Bacolod City
Bacolod City has a wide array of affordable and high quality hotels, guest/pension houses and inns for you to stay in. But getting a decent place to stay during Masskara Festival is quite a challenge. You have to book as early as possible or few months before the festival. To check on the available places to stay in Bacolod City, click HERE.
Visit Bacolod City and experience Masskara Festival, "the happiest festival in the country!"
NOTE: This post will be updated as soon the detailed Masskara Festival 2013 schedule comes out.
TRAVELING IS FUN! SHARE THIS POST!
You Might Also Like:
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|