I believe, we should all be #WeatherWiser. As a frequent traveler, part of my travel planning is to check on the weather of my destination. That way, I could plan ahead on whether to push through with my trip or not; or what kind of clothing should I bring during my travel or what are the precautionary measures I should apply if ever there are some weather disturbances. Knowing the weather is very important for us to make sure that we are always ready, safe and prepared in terms of what and how to prepare for our travels or even in our day to day lives.
Just last week, I am back in Cebu for a 2-day event organized by Weather Philippines. Together with other bloggers and influencers, we had a very insightful "Urbanization of Cebu Tour" on our first day in the city. The tour involved visiting heritage and cultural sites and tourist attractions around the city - some of them I haven't visited before. The city tour was patterned with the annual "Gabii sa Kabilin" - which literally means "Night at the Museum". The tour was organized by Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc. (RAFI) who really gave us a very enriching tour around the city's museums and historical sites.
SEE ALSO: Top 10 Best Things to Do in Cebu (Tourist Spots, Attractions and Things To Do and Experience)
Through the initiatives of City Savings Bank, WeatherPhilippines, Cebu Pacific Air and Rappler, we also had a social media workshop held on our 2nd day in Cebu City. Together with some public school teachers from Cebu City, we gathered at Summit Circle Hotel for a day of workshop, training and talks about knowledge mobilization, disaster preparedness and communication plan preparation on the event of a typhoon or weather disturbance.
The event started with a brief introduction about the Weather Philippines by Weather Philippines' Sustainability Manager Ms. Kaye Rosario-Sangalang.
What is Weather Philippines?
- WeatherPhilippines complements government’s nationwide efforts on disaster risk reduction, and aims to help build a #WeatherWiserNation that uses weather information for socio-economic and sustainable development.
- Founded in 2012 by the Aboitiz Foundation, UnionBank, and Meteogroup, it delivers free, more localized, and accurate weather information accessed through weather.com.ph.
- WeatherPhilippines provides the country with a premier weather sensing and forecasting system made possible by technology, inclusive partnerships, and communication.
- As of 2016, WeatherPhilippines has deployed 780 Automated Weather Stations (AWS) nationwide, partnered with more than 568 LGUs and private sector companies, and has trained more than a thousand public and private sector partners on weather.
- The AWS deployment and the weather trainings for LGUs are sustained by the annual donations of WeatherPhilippines’ platinum donors: SM, LBC, Ayala Group, VistaLand, Nickel Asia Corporation (NAC), and ICTSI International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI).
It was then followed with a very insightful talk by Raisa Serafica of Rappler about the role of social media in disaster preparedness and how to effectively use social media in times of disaster. She also gave us a quick demo about Rappler's Project Agos which uses mobile and web technologies, as well as social media to aid in the flow of critical and actionable information to those who need it before, during, and after disasters.
We also had the chance to have a sneak peek at WeatherPhilippines' new website to be officially launched this November 2016. The new website will serve as a weather-knowledge hub and collaboration platform for all its followers.
I definitely learned a lot from this workshop. Thank you WeatherPhilippines for inviting us. Now, I could say that I am more #WeatherWiser and together, we could work hand-in-hand in building a #WeatherWiserNation!
You too can be #WeatherWiser! Just download the Weather Philippines mobile app for FREE! It is available both for Android and IOS devices. Simply search "WeatherPhilippines" to download the app!
SEE ALSO: Know the Weather Condition of your Favorite Travel Destinations! Check Out Weather Philippines Mobile App!
To know more about Weather Philippines, visit their website at www.weather.com.ph or like their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/weather.com.ph.
Read full disclosure here.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|