The province of Samar is one of the unsung tourist destinations in the Philippines. It truly has been blessed with so much in nature for its locals to be proud of which is slowly getting recognized not only by Filipinos, but also from other nationalities. One of the must-visit places in Samar is the town of Basey. If you’re one of those who have yet to experience this beauty, then here is a list of what you shouldn’t miss out on.
You can find many places and do many things in Basey, Samar. Here are some of the best things to do in Basey, Samar you shouldn't miss!
1. Take a scenic boat ride to Sohoton National ParkThe park itself is situated in a large land of several hectares made of geological features such as caves, limestone boulders, and underground rivers. The one to look out for would have to be the cathedral-like caves.
2. Explore the Enchanting Sohoton CavesLocated within the Sohoton National Park, the cathedral-like caves, which are the Panhulugan I, and II, Sohoton and Bugosan has a natural limestone cliffs, beautiful stlactites and stalgmites, flowstones and dripstones that will surely amaze everyone visiting the park.
3. Kayak your way to the Sohoton Natural BridgeTake a kayak and paddle your way to the Sohoton Natural Bridge. This awe-inspiring natural bridge connects two mountain ridges of spanning the Sohoton River. The upper portion of the bridge is forested while the underside is made of giant formations of stalactites.
4. Visit the Centuries-old St. Michael Church (Basey Church)The beautifully preserved church which was built by the Jesuit priests on the late 17th century stands as a historical landmark of Basey. Don’t miss to marvel at the murals of biblical characters of the church’s ceiling during your visit.
5. Pay homage to the Sto. Nino in Buscada ChurchThis church is significant for the people of Tacloban City. During the city fiesta, the image of the Holy Child Jesus of Buscada is exchanged with the image of Holy Child Jesus of Tacloban in a ritual called Balyuan.
6. Be amazed by the Banig weavers of BaseyAccording to local weavers who are mostly women, the weaving is mostly done inside the Soob Cave in Brgy. Basiao along the national highway. The cold temperature inside the cave helps preserve the raw materials which make their banig products in top quality.
7. Buy Banig and other banig-inspired SouvenirsYou are not only limited to just banigs because the locals have expanded their products to bags, wallets, slippers, and other decorative materials. Just like any other handicraft, the bigger the product, the more expensive it is.
8. Marvel at the breathtaking sunset along San Pedro BayNothing beats a great sunset and where better to witness this than along San Pedro Bay which boasts a width of 20 kilometres and a length of 24 kilometres. The bay opens out from the San Juanico Strait near the port of Tacloban, at the North-Western corner of the bay, into the Leyte Gulf at the South. This is the best way to end your Basey Samar adventure!
Indeed, Basey Samar is an off-the-beaten destination that should be added on your bucket list. Visit Basey and enjoy an adventure like no other!
Hotels in Tacloban City
For more information you may contact:
DOT Region 8Email: email@example.com
Contact Numbers: +63 53 321-2046 / +63 53 832-0901 / +63 998-888-9715
Province of SamarFacebook: www.facebook.com/SparkSamar
Twitter and Instgram: @SparkSamar
You may also book a special tour package thru:
Leyte Gulf Travel and ToursContact Number: +63 53 321-7966
Note: Some photos taken with Nikon Coolpix AW 120 waterproof camera.
|Check Hotel Rates, Discounts and Availability|
Search a Destination:
Thank You For Sharing!
|Leave a Comment via Facebook|